a lot of eating, a lot of sleeping, and a lot of fun this weekend – all things we easily take for granted. my dad was home this memorial day weekend, and is finally home for good. for the past four years, he has been working overseas – first in iraq, then in afghanistan. he was working months at a time, twelve hour shifts with no days off. good food was unheard of over there. there wasn’t any time for fun, and not even much time to call back home. sleep is hard when alarms are going off every day, meaning you have to hide under your bed or go to a designated area to stay safe.
so this weekend, we ate crabs by the pound, bought bouquets of beautiful, fresh flowers, went on more looptyloo rides then our stomaches could handle, watched the kids laugh till our own bellies hurt from laughing, and just enjoyed each others company. it was a memorial day weekend done right.
friday to monday morning we stayed in ocean city. the first night, both the kids slept until ten and woke slowly – taking in the salty air blowing through our open window. steve and my dad enjoyed morning coffee at oc coffee co. while the rest of us went to bashful banana to get their famous banana whip. being as maribelle cannot have dairy or soy, bashful banana was my saving grace this weekend. the weather was pretty chilly for may, so we didnt spend much time on the shore, but what we did spend oliver took full advantage of. our little water bebe.
monday was spend in cape may – first at the zoo, and then to sunset beach. most of our shores on this coast do not have the sunset, so this was a real treat to see. while waiting for the sun to set, we saw a school of dolphins swim by, with three to four fins peeking over the waves at a time. there was also a fisherman who caught a baby shark, so we watched as he swam along shore and was released back into the ocean. when it came time to leave, we experienced the first meltdown over not wanting to go from Oliver. quite the experience, these toddler milestones!
and now we’re plum exausted. perhaps we need a vacation from our vacation? 😉
a few vacation tips from our weekend away with family + two under two:
– layers. we were able to keep from overpacking my bringing layers. one sweatshirt can be worn the whole weekend with multiple shirts underneath. if you get hot, take off a layer, dont change an entire outfit.
– when packing, we pack four bags: one for me, one for steve, one for the kids shared, and one of misc items and food. when we arrive, our clothes all go into the dressers, and our bags are used differently. my bag becomes the bag for clean clothes to be put away when we get home, steves becomes the dirty clothes to be thrown into the washer once home, and the misc bag doubles as our beach bag while we’re there. this system always works out really well for us and keeps us from having our bags sitting in the living room for days after.
– take advantage of what youre hotel has to offer. we saved money (and room when packing) by making our breakfast in our rooms often. rather than bringing beach towels, we brought the extra hotel towels down to the beach. our hotel also included beach tags and boardwalk coupons, so always check into what your hotel offers for free.
– bring a book, even if you dont think you will have time to read it. you may surprise yourself and find that you do, or at the very least it can be used to keep photo strips and other paper from bending.
– sunscreen and baby powder (for removing sticky sand) had a permanent place in our strollers back pocket, along with a huge stack of napkins. always keep napkins! runny noses, burp cloth, messy food, or a toddler that thinks its funny to blow bubbles in his milk (i’m not talking from experience, though…. ;P)
– after the kids had gone to sleep, we prepared for the next day. stocking the diaper bag, setting out the next days outfits, and so on. it kept us from craziness in the morning and potentially realizing we forgot something when it was too late.
what are your packing tips with babies in tow, or just tips in general? would love to hear!